Monday, October 14, 2013

teaching // Reign Repeats :: challenge 1 :: top 6

Nine days ago I was working on my editorial content when I received the worst news ever: my Dad, the man of my life, was suddenly taken from our side. He was the most wonderful man, husband, dad, surgeon, friend, teacher I've ever met. Many came to say goodbye and to tell us how much impact my dad had had in their lives. We feel so proud of him, and knowing he'll no longer be around to make a difference in this world makes this loss more painful and inexplicable. It is so incredibly hard and I can't seem to know where to start or where to find the strength I need, but I know the best way to honour him is to keep going, achieve my goals and dreams and make him the proudest Angel up there. 

I'm taking a minute at a time to be able to get by… everything is so foggy now and planning isn't something I'm able to do right now. However, I set this challenge a while back and gave you all my word today was the day I was going to post my top 10. So here I am, keeping my word (one of the many things my Dad taught me.) 

I challenged my old and new students to create a design to enter Spoonflower's Pies contest, and asked you to follow the project guide and post the link to the design in Spoonflower in the challenge announcement. Not many did; which made my choice easier (although a would have liked a bit more engagement… maybe next challenge will be more inviting?) I originally wanted to post my favourite top 10, but ended up posting the top 6 that followed the guidelines. All 6 designs are great in their own unique way and deserve to win the award. I'm sure you'll agree with me once you look at them and read what I like about them.

* * *
I love Jane's autumnal colour palette and retro flair. The motifs are beautifully detailed and illustrated and overall the repeat is very appealing. It would make beautiful kitchen accessories.
J_SANDERS
A- unnamed by Jane Sanders

I love that Jenn's design isn't literal. Yes… it includes pies, but its folksy influence makes it very original and beautiful.
Pie Birds
B- pie birds by Jenn Busch

Shelly's design has a lot of beautiful details that make it alluring and interesting. I particularly like the cherry background and the patterns used in the pies. 
Pie Bird Song
C- pie bird song by Shelly Penko

I like that Katie's design is bold and graphic. Very modern and eye-catching.
Easy as Pie
D- easy as pie by Katie Lenius

Celia's is graphic and bold too, but what I like the most about it is its modern colour palette and use of textures. I also love the fact that it makes a great new geo pattern.
Slice of Pie!
E- slice of pie! by Celia Forrester

Luciana's design is whimsical and bright… just yummy!
Pies and Apples Dark Turquoise Blue
F- pies and apples (dark turquoise blue) by Luciana Haddad

Hard to choose just one now, right? Please vote for your favourite design below (only one vote per person allowed) and don't forget to leave a comment if you want to tell the designers something. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to know what you all think. The winner will win a Spoonflower giftcard of $100, and will be announced next Monday here.

VOTING HAS BEEN CLOSED

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment... it is always nice to read them! :D