Monday, June 10, 2013

SPD RedCarpet // Antonela del Vecchio


Good morning everyone!

I've been out of blogging for a while 'cause a was preparing my Skillshare class. I'm so happy I was able to make the deadline, and that since it started on Friday, I've already started to get lots of good reviews and students are happy with it. I still have many many things on my to-do list, but blogging is  finally back on it, and I'm happy to re-start my editorial schedule with Monday's SPD RedCarpet; the series dedicated to surface pattern designers and their work. Today's guest is my friend Antonela del Vecchio; an Argentinian living in Germany I got to meet online.

Let's meet her a bit better:


Hi Antonela, tell us a bit about yourself.
I studied textile design in the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina and graduated in 2008. My final project was all about reusing scraps from textile companies, and you can see a little bit of it here. Then I worked for textile companies in the production area. Soon after that I got married and in October 2011 I moved to Germany with my husband. I always thought I was going to work in a company, but since i moved my focus changed. I started thinking of becoming a freelance designer, and that is what I want now.
What is it that you like about patterns? Which one is your favorite pattern style?
I have always been fascinated by patterns and textiles. Since I have memory my mum has sewed me different clothes and we went together to buy fabrics. I can remember myself staring at magazines such as Burda for hours and hours. I love patterns and I just think patterns make our lives happier! 
I don't have any favorite or particular pattern style, I only know when I like something or not.

How would you describe your style?
My style is happy, colorful and with the beauty of simple things.
Where do you find inspiration? Do you follow trends?
I find my inspiration in daily little thing: I love taking pictures, walking, drawing. But I also find lots of interesting stuff in the web in sites such as Pinterest. I have to admit I don't follow trends at all. I just try to follow what I like to make a unique pattern.

What color palettes do you prefer?
As you may have realized, I love pinks, magenta, greens and neutrals colors.
When you design, do you do it thinking of a final product? Which market would you like your designs to be on?

I would love to see my patterns in home textiles, in blankets, bed sets, cushions.

Which Design tool can't you leave without?
My scanner.
What has been your greatest achievement so far? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
One of my greatest achievement so far was to see one of my designs woven in Jacquard and used to produce blankets, cushions, etc by an Argentinian company. 
In 5 years I see myself with 1 or 2 kids :) and continuing working as a textile designer and why not, producing my own fabrics and eco-friendly products.
What's your favourite patterned possession? Why?

My civil ceremony dress. My mum sewed it and the fabric is an old fabric that her mother gave her long time ago (she doesn't even remember when).

Who is your favorite surface pattern designer? Why?
I love Luli Sanchez work.
Where can we find more of your work and products?
You can see my work here and on my personal blog (sorry it's in Spanish!), and buy my designs on Society6 and my Etsy shop,

I hope you've enjoyed getting to know Antonela a bit better. Don't forget to check the other places you can find her (above!) :D to see more gorgeous patterns!